Everyone has the right to a decent quality of life and be able to provide for themselves and their families. Twinings already aims to buy from the best estates, both in terms of quality and ethics, but even these can be improved further, which is what we aim to do.
Our Sourced with Care programme is designed to help support the changes needed to make this a reality in the places around the world where we source our goods and ingredients.
We work to improve living standards, enhance livelihoods and enable life opportunities for communities in our supply chain.
Twinings have been in the tea business for over 300 years and we have always been innovators. Our Sourced with Care programme is no different; we are dedicated to applying our experience to ensuring quality of life for all those from whom we source our goods and ingredients.
Together with our partners, our Sourced with Care programme has already impacted over 100,000 lives. We will continue on our journey to drive further change in the future.
- We monitor and promote supplier compliance with our Code of Conduct by conducting ethical audits and building capacity through training (on Health and Safety or Discrimination for example).
- We respect human rights and ensure risks are remediated appropriately.
- We source our tea primarily from gardens certified by internationally recognised standards (such as Rainforest Alliance, UTZ Certified and Fairtrade).
- We work from the Ethical Tea Partnership (ETP) which works to improve the tea industry and tackle issues such as safe use of pesticides and discrimination.
- We then build on these solid foundations to ensure that we are best addressing the needs of the communities from which we source and to tackle some of the broader challenges facing the industry.
- We have local Ethical Sourcing Managers on the ground in each of our key sourcing regions who visit tea gardens several times a year.
- We have developed a community needs-assessment in consultation with UNICEF, WaterAid, Solidaridad, Conservation International, etc. to gain a holistic understanding of the needs of the people on each tea estate from which we source so that we can better tailor our interventions.
- We have a range of projects and interventions in place to address these needs, from access to clean water and sanitation, to protection of children and income diversification.
- We work with other tea companies, tea producers and governments to improve the lives of people on tea communities via targeted interventions.
- We scale up our initiatives, such as our UNICEF programme in Assam, to achieve sustainable change in tea estates across the world.